AAS Call for Stock Imagery
Terms and Conditions
Please read carefully
Photography Competition Terms and Conditions
Description of Competition
- F1000 Research Limited, in association with African Academy of Sciences’ Open Research Platform (“AAS”) are running a competition for someone to win the prize of one KSh10,000 Love Africa voucher, one £250 Routledge Books voucher, and their photo to be placed on the AAS Twitter and Blog headers. (the “Competition”). 2 runners up will also be awarded one £100 Routledge Books voucher.
Promoter’s name and address
- The promoter is F1000 Research Limited (company number 08322928) of 5 Howick Place, London, United Kingdom, SW1P 1WG (the “Promotor”).
How to participate
- Entry is not open to any employees of F1000 Research Limited, AAS and any employee of a group company of these organisations and fundees and suppliers of the Promoter or AAS (a “Participant”).
- Participants must be 18 years of age or over. The Promoter may require to see proof of age from Participants.
- Participants can enter the Competition via : https://think.f1000research.com/aas-photography/.
- To enter the Competition, a Participant must submit a photo to AAS that is in line with the requirements set out here https://think.f1000research.com/aas-photography/ and these Terms and Conditions. Once the Participant has submitted the photo by either:
- posting their photo on social media and tagging @AASOpenRes and using the hashtag #AASphoto; or
- emailing your photo to email@example.com,
they will then have entered the Competition.
- Entry to the Competition is free and no purchase is necessary. The Promoter shall not charge any Participant for entering or attempting to enter the Competition.
- Any breach of these Terms and Conditions by a Participant or any dishonest, misrepresentative or fraudulent conduct will void an entry.
- There is no maximum amount of entries per Participant. Submission of duplicate entries will all be properly considered for the duration of the Competition.
- The Competition will be open from 12am BST, 1st September 2020 (the “Start Date”) and entries received on or after this date will be valid.
- The closing date for the Competition will be 11.59pm BST, 30th November 2020 (the “Closing Date”). Any entries received after this date will not be valid.
Selection and notification of the Winner
- The winner of the Competition will be selected by a panel of judges from the Promoter and AAS from all entries correctly submitted in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- Notification of the Winner will take place between 1st December 2020 – 31st December 2020 via email or Twitter through the Winners email address / the Twitter account details provided by the Participant to enter the Competition. If the Winner does not respond within 5 business days of being notified or is unable to accept the Prize, then another Winner will be selected again in accordance with clause 12.
- The Promotor’s decision on the Winner is final and no correspondence will be entered into by the Promotor with the unsuccessful Participants.
- The 1st Prize is one KSh10,000 eGiftAfrica voucher, one £250 Routledge Books voucher, and the Winner’s photo to be placed on the AAS Twitter and Blog headers. 2 runners up will be awarded one £100 Routledge Books voucher each.
- The winning photo will be placed in the AAS Twitter and Blog header from 10th January 2020 for a minimum of 60 days.
- The Prize is not transferable, not exchangeable and no cash alternative is available.
- The Prize must be taken as stated and no compensation will be payable if the Winner is unable to accept the Prize as stated.
- The Promoter retains the right to substitute the prize with another prize of similar value in the event that the original prize offered is not available.
- The Promoter will not be held liable for a prize if it does not reach the winner for reasons beyond its reasonable control.
Restrictions and requirements
- The photo must comply with the following guidelines:
- If your photo features someone’s face, we will need written permission from that person in order to use the photo.
- The photos should not include any brand names or logos (for example on the front of shops, on clothing, or on any devices shown in the picture).
- Photos should be your own and you should have ownership in the copyright of the photo.
- If a photo is from inside private property that isn’t your own, we will need written permission from the property owner in order to use the photo. For example, if a photo is taken in a university lab then the Univeristy need to give written permission for its use.
- Photographic entries must be under 25MB and .jpg format. All photo submissions must be the entrant’s own work, and they must own the copyright to any photographs entered.
- The Winner, if willing, may be required to take part in limited publicity resulting from the Competition including but not limited to clause 27.
Ownership of entries and intellectual property
- All photos submitted to the Competition and any accompanying material submitted to the Promoter may be published by the Promoter on an Open Access basis under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY).
- In relation to any photos submitted to the Competition, each Participant confirms that they own the copyright in the image and shall retain copyright in their photos and grant to the Promoter, AAS and its successors, assigns, agents and licensees, a non-exclusive license for the full term of copyright (including all renewals and extensions thereof) reproduce the image in an Open Access basis under a CC BY licence.
- By submitting a photo to the Competition and any accompanying material, the Participant hereby asserts his/her moral right to be identified as the creater of the image. The Promoter will use reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Participant’s name is clearly associated with the photo – however, an inadvertent omission shall not be a breach of these Terms and Conditions.
- Participants agree that the Promoter may, but is not required to make their entries available on its website and any other media, whether now known or invented in the future, and in connection with any publicity of the Competition. Participants agree to grant the Promoter a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence, for the full period of any intellectual property rights in the Competition entries and any accompanying materials, to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format and sub-licence the Competition entries and any accompanying materials for such purpose.
- Any personal data provided by a Participant will remain confidential to the Promoter and will not be disclose to any third party without the Participant's prior consent, except that the Promoter reserves the right to use the information for the purposes of facilitating the Competition including but not limited to making available on request or publishing the surname, county of residence and, if applicable, the winning entry of the Winner on its website, as well as providing the Winner’s details to third parties as detailed in the Privacy Notice (defined below) for the purposes of administering the Competition.
- All personal data provided by a Participant will be used by the Promotor solely for the purposes of administering the Competition or as otherwise set out/referred to in these Terms and Conditions.
- The Promotor and AAS may choose to document the Winner through photographs and video to be shared across internal channels. The Winner agrees that the Promotor and AAS may use their name and photo to announce the Winner of the Competition and for any other reasonable and related competition purposes.
- Further information on how the Promotor will collect and use the Participants personal data can be found in the Promotors privacy notice which can be accessed here https://f1000research.com/about/legal/privacypolicy.
- The Winner may object to the Promoters use of their personal data under clauses 28 and 30 above or request that the amount of personal data used for the purposes of clauses 28 and 30 is restricted. Further information on how exercise these rights can be found in the Privacy Notice.
- Notwithstanding the Winner’s rights set out in clause 32, the Promoter may be obliged to disclose the Winner’s personal data to such regulatory authority as appropriate in the event that the awarding of the Prize in relation to the Competition is challenged.
- All Participants acknowledge and accept that the Promotor reserves the right to suspend, modify, cancel or terminate the Competition and/or revoke any Participant’s application at any time by giving notice to the particular Participant without incurring any liability.
- The Promotor does not accept responsibility for Participant entries that are lost, mislaid, damaged or delayed in transit, regardless of cause, including but not limited to, as a result of an equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
- Each Participant will indemnify the Promotor from and against any losses which the Promotor suffers or incurs as a result of any breach, failure, performance or negligence by the Participant under these Terms and Conditions.
- Subject to clauses 38 and 39, the Promotor shall have no liability to any of the Participants under these Terms and Conditions.
- Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promotor, its agents, employees or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the Winner or the additional passenger or accept any liability for any loss or damage that may be lawfully excluded which occurs as a result of taking up the Prize, except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promotor, its agents, employees or distributors. The Winner’s statutory rights are not affected.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude, limit or restrict the liability of either party:
- for death or personal injury arising from negligence;
- in respect of any fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
- to the extent such limitation or exclusion is not permitted by law.
- The Participant is deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these Terms and Conditions upon entry in the Competition. The Promotor reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions at any time and will make the amended Terms and Conditions available to the Participants.
- The Promotor reserves the right to refuse participation, or refuse to award the Prize, to anyone in breach of these Terms and Conditions and its decision shall be absolute and final.
- If at any time any part of these Terms and Conditions is held to be or becomes void or otherwise unenforceable for any reason under any applicable law, the same shall be deemed omitted from these Terms and Conditions and the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions of these Terms and Conditions shall not in any way be affected or impaired as a result of that omission.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.